Hawthorne Helps is a partnership between Rochester Public Schools’ Hawthorne Education Center and First Unitarian Universalist Church, with support from local faith, service, and business groups.
Hawthorne Education Center provides classes for 500 learners, ages 17 and older, 85% live at or below the poverty level and many are immigrants. All are struggling to make a better life. Programs include English as a Second Language, literacy, GED high school diploma, college level prep, job training, and citizenship.
Services: UU Volunteers provide twice monthly Grab-N-Go Bags packed with rotating items that cannot be purchased with SNAP including toilet paper, dish soap, deodorant, hand soap, tissue, shampoo, hand sanitizer, lotion, and bar soap.
First UU Hawthorne Helps 1st Semester 2021-2022 Dates:
Ways you can help:
- Donate requested item to the Blue Barrel (new & unused only PLEASE)!
- Volunteer to sort, tally and pack up Blue Barrel donations on a Sunday morning.
- Volunteer to shop, pack Grab-N-Go bags and/or assist with distribution at Hawthorne Education Center.
- Knit, crochet or purchase winter hats, scarves, gloves & mittens for the Oct. 19 pre-winter distribution.
- Contribute to our Annual Share The Plate UU fundraiser
- Check the eNews or Blue Barrel in the Commons for a current list
- Gift cards (Aldi’s, Menards, Walgreens)
Questions? More Information? To Volunteer?
Contact: Sandy MacLaughlin: firstname.lastname@example.org; 507-282-8496; 715-580-0691