Bringing our values to life is a core part of our congregation’s mission and vision. We seek not only personal transformation but also a transformation of the world around us, with our foundation being the worth and dignity of every person and the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Social Justice Principles
Our social justice work is based on the values expressed by our seven principles. In addition to reflecting the meaning and purpose of our individual lives, social justice work deepens the meaning and purpose of the congregation. It also connects us to other faith organizations and the larger community as we build coalitions to serve people in the community.
The Social Justice Council coordinates the work of our issue-specific task groups and encourages them to balance their social justice activities in each of the five social justice imperatives:
- Service – meeting people’s immediate needs through donations and service;
- Education – raising awareness of a social problem or issue, encouraging dialogue and building consensus;
- Witness – expressing convictions publicly by word or deed;
- Advocacy – working with the legislative process to impact public policy;
- Community organizing – developing coalitions that empower people to participate in decision-making.
Partnering with outside organizations on an ongoing basis in the service to our community.
People with Disabilities
Helping our congregation become informed and engaged advocates for members, their families, and others who are living with disabilities.
Racial Justice Task Group
Combatting racism in its various forms and hold local institutions accountable for eliminating institutional racism.
Refugee Task Group
Working with Catholic Charities to support new refugee families.
Standing on the Side of Love – Welcoming Congregation
Advocate to use love’s power to end oppression and biases; maintain the commitment to LGBTQ community and raise awareness of economic inequality; facilitate a timely response when situations call for united UU actions.