A host of fellowship activities provides many ways to have fun and meet church members. Some of our activities are on a regular monthly schedule, many are seasonal or annual events, and many are special, one-of-a-kind opportunities.
The best way to learn about all of our activities is:
* Read about what’s Happening at First UU
* Check out our Calendar
* Sign up for the Weekly eNews by emailing Congregational Co-Administrator
* If sign-up is required for an activity, a signup sheet may be available in the Commons.
Activities held on a regular basis include:
3rd Tuesday, 1-3 p.m.
The Caring Crafters use their talents to bring comfort or joy to members of our congregation. We get together to knit, crochet, quilt, and weave items for the Minister and the Congregational Life Coordinator to give to people facing challenges, crisis, or grief. We make tied fleece blankets to give to our Coming of Age graduates and knitted or crocheted baby blankets for infants and young children being welcomed into our congregation. Come to learn a new skill, teach your skills, or simply craft and chat.
UU Bridge Club
Generally the 3rd Saturday, 7:00 pm
This is party bridge and all skill levels are welcome. We will provide a partner for everyone who shows up. The location is announced in the Weekly eNews.
UU Book Club
3rd Tuesday, 6:00 pm at various locations
The group begins each monthly meeting with a potluck, followed by a book discussion. At the beginning of each year, the members decide on the year’s reading list. All are welcome.
UU Mah Jong
Generally, each Monday at 9:30 am, Chapel
Examples of activities that are seasonal:
Do you love the movies? Hate to go alone? Never can agree on a film with your friends or partner? From the Oscar Blitz in December through the spring Rochester International Film Fest, join other UUs for a monthly movie outing. Day, time and theater may vary, depending on films. Three film choices are usually offered. Suggestions are welcome. Discussion and fellowship follow. Contact: John and Sandy MacLaughlin.
Ethnic Lunch Series
Take a tasting trip around the world with other UUs. There is no need to purchase an expensive airline ticket for a winter break. In addition to enjoying foods from India, Somalia to Vietnam and more than 20 countries in between, discussion on the countries makes for lively fellowship. After the first lunch in November, participants take turns selecting, scheduling and hosting. Contact: Sandy and John MacLaughlin.
Of course, any way you choose to participate in our UU community will help provide the opportunities you have to build fellowship with other congregants. So, find a small group of interest or a committee of interest and start connecting with others! One group of interest might be:
Clara Barton Guild (click here for more information)
Our Hospitality & Growth Council meets every other month and is responsible for:
- Our Hospitality Teams are volunteers for one Sunday per month. Teams are coordinated by a team leader, and an online sign-up page is available for members to volunteer to serve as greeters, guest table host, ushers, or coffee hosts. Hospitality teams signup
- Melissa Eggler, Congregational Life Coordinator, coordinates classes, recognition, and activities for new members. Members of the Hospitality & Growth Council assist with New Member activities.
- Our Fellowship sub-committee which plans a variety of events through the church year.
In addition to Sunday brunches, lunches, a reception held on Christmas Eve, the Fellowship committee plans events of interest to our church community. If you have an event idea, please contact the Fellowship committee.